Thursday, January 10, 2013

Writing Vs. Editing

Writing is a process. A long-winded, exhausting, gratifying, amazing process. From idea to research to writing to editing to polishing, it really takes you on a journey. And like any journey, there are certain aspects you might like more than others.

Personally, I can't say I prefer one over the other. I guess research isn't my favorite part, though it's invaluable and I really appreciate it for how much it enriches my books.

Then there's the actual writing, getting that first draft down on paper. There's something so magical about taking a vague, nebulous idea in your head and giving it life, turning it into a story that might touch someone else. I hope my stories will one day do that to readers, give them that warm fuzzy feeling that my favorite stories give me. That would be incredible.

And then there's editing. Rewriting. Taking that rough first draft and whittling it down to the core, to what you really want to say. It's like taking a rough, unpolished gem and rubbing away all the grime till it shines. That's a whole other amazing process.

Honestly, I can't choose. I can't say I love editing more than writing, or researching less than scouring for grammatical errors. Every part is important. Every step is necessary. And I love it all.

Writing versus editing. First draft or revisions? What's your favorite part of the process? (Unless you're indecisive like me--in which case, welcome.)

2 comments:

  1. Writing vs. editing...
    In my case, I would say that writing is the winner. Yet, once left in a drawer to rest, the relish in re-discovering your work again is, however different, as equal, I find. And, you notice so many different things you haven't before.

    It feels as if research were to be both gratifying as annoying. Pro: it enriches the plot as well as it develops new sub-plots, the characters etc. Con: I often find that most of what I read is irrelevant to the plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely know what you mean about putting a story away and then returning to it at a few weeks/months/years later. It's really telling! And in a way I feel it really helps to improve the story, because you're coming at it from a new place in yourself.

      Haha, I know what you mean about reading things that never making into the story! I think about 30% of my research (if that) ultimately winds up onto the pages, but I think the remaining 70% definitely gives you a better sense of what you're writing and does somehow make its way into the story, even if it's only giving you greater confidence in the material you're writing about. Not to mention it's an ongoing form of education! I mean, the things I've learned the past couple of years are pretty amazing in their own way, regardless of how much the contribute to the story.

      I don't know, I get pretty passionate about this! And if the least compelling aspect of writing (to me) can be this great . . . : )

      Delete

Hey, there! Share your thoughts.