Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Writing Is Like Brushing Your Teeth

I think the most important aspect of writing is consistency. Like with everything else in life, if you want to get better at something you have to be persistent. You have to acquire this will-not-be-put-down doggedness that forces you to commit to it--if that's what you really love (and I don't know a lot of writers who start out in hopes of getting filthy rich).

It doesn't matter how much you write. It could be 500 words a day. One page a week. A thousand words every fortnight. It could be one sentence a day. Anything. All that matters is that you figure out what works best for you, and that you stick to it.

I've found that setting manageable goals helps tremendously. That way it isn't too stressful to get to, and if I go over my daily quota I get to feel good about myself. And another thing: figure out what works best for YOU. Maybe some writers are superbeings who've figured out how to live without sleep, but for most people a steady 10,000 word/day goal isn't feasible. But that's okay. All that matters is figuring out something YOU can commit to. Writing has to become an integral part of your everyday life, just like taking a shower or brushing your teeth. You don't complain about it; you just do it.

So sit down in front of that computer or notebook, and just. Write.

It's as simple as that.

4 comments:

  1. I heard that a very renown French writer would write numerous amounts of Alexandrian as a morning exercise... impressive

    Writing is indeed like brushing your teeth. for someone in a more scientific field, it reminds me something I read about being good in maths: you need to practice!
    "practice makes perfect" I hear =]

    Ps, very nice new look to your Blog Emy =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joon!! Long time : ) Yeah, "practice makes perfect"--so true.

      Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you like the new blog! : )

      Delete
    2. Long time indeed!
      Yes, yes it is, and then there's the motivation, but then, that's not the hardest part =]

      Ps, about your blog, how do you manage to choose your own backgoung picture?

      Delete
    3. I don't know. . . . For some people it is! Not for me, but then, each writer has his/her own set of challenges!

      I used one of the options on Blogger. Template --> Customize --> Background --> Background Image, and then from there you can choose one of the preexisting images or upload your own. Hope that helps! : )

      Delete

Hey, there! Share your thoughts.